Jigoku - Forum Forum Index Jigoku - Forum
Be Excellent to Each Other

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Human form

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jigoku - Forum Forum Index -> Tutorial Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divinity
Scrotophobic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how to not make my art look like crap? Er... how about a human form tutorial?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mister X
Nobody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, I'll see what I can do. Nothing grand, just basic proportion tips and stuff to look out for.
Divinity
Scrotophobic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. ^_^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mister X
Nobody

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make the actual tutorial when I'm done, but I'll post everything here as I assemble it.

Okay, here we have your very basic human skeleton, doodled to proper proportion. None of the limbs are too long, the head isn't jacked up either. Of course, there is a vast wealth of information out there on the internet, and you could certainly find better reference of the human skeleton. This image is not meant to be a guide to the bones or any such thing.
When drawing even stylized material, remember that fantasy is DISTORTED REALITY. Your characters have to at least seem like they have a skeleton under their skin. Don't worry about perfect accuracy, just use reality as a guide.
Some notes I keep to myself on proportion, for quick reference. I can't be bothered to dig up reference pics every time I draw a person, so I use a few rules to keep my memory of the skeleton accurate.
The humerus (upper arm bone) goes from the line of the level shoulder to the outermost edge of the iliac crests (the wings of the pelvis).
The ulna and radius (lower arm bones) go from there to about halfway down the femur (thigh bone).
The fingertips can just about touch the knees.
The femur is about 125% the length of the humerus.
The tibia and fibula (lower leg bones) are just a bit shorter than the femur.
There's a fist-height gap between the lower ribs and the pelvis.
Now of course this is NOT how you should draw everything, because these basic measurements don't apply to everybody obviously. They can be adjusted in either direction for the most part, with little or no harm done. Like I said, this is just quick reference for me, not scientific rule.

Last edited by Mister X on Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Mister X
Nobody

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: When you rotate your hand, this is how the ulna (the bone that goes from your humerus to the outside edge of your hand) and the radius (the bone that goes to the thumb-side of the arm) cross.

Just remember it, so you don't draw a straight forearm when it shouldn't be. Or something. You should always use yourself for reference in cases like this. Act out the pose you want to draw, and check the position of your bones.
Mister X
Nobody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit post, just to get some images together.

How I assemble a pose:

Female pelvis

Male pelvis

Raestlin
Fear is the Mind Killer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still reference this tutorial, if I had any further request it would be for a tutorial specifically on the pelvis and legs. I can get the anatomy of the upper body but for some reason the pelvis' connection to the legs and perspective views of it kill me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Jigoku - Forum Forum Index -> Tutorial Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: